Apr 14, 2008

In Re: Obama's PA Diagnosis

The following was a comment I was writing to Rick's Cafe and Tranquility Lost when it became so long, I figured it'd do just as well as my own post. Of course, I accidentally copy/pasted overtop of the original comment, effectively erasing about 25 minutes of work, but I'll do my best to re-write it.


A fuss was made recently over comments President Senator Obama made in regards to small towns in Pennsylvania and in the Midwest. If you've not been privy to the outrage, please check it out. Since the name of this blog is in fact Small Town Scandals, I feel obliged to, at the very least, comment.

Leave it to the people of small-town Pennsylvania to raise hell over an ideal that they hold so near and dear to their hearts. Tranquility Lost (link above) called the comments "
condescending, offensive, and repugnant." That seems a tad overzealous. Let me admit that there should have been a more calculated attempt by Obama to verbalize his feelings on the subject at hand. However, we can hardly criticize a candidate for telling the truth, can we?

If you're from this area, have spent any time in this area, or have been around anyone from this area, you know there is always an overwhelming pride that they are from the "Steel City." While my affection for the area may not be as unbridled as some, let me assure you my pride is there, in spades.

It's this sense of pride that hurts this area as much as it defines it. People are happy to be known as 'blue collar' and 'hard working.' There's no reason to deny them that and there's certainly nothing wrong with it. Sure, many people suffered as the area lost its industry, but why does that mean no one can come in and say it? In that sense, it seems to me the terms 'blue collar' and 'hard working' wind up nothing more than synonyms for 'stubborn' and 'resistant to change.'

To not shout your pride in this area can best be deemed heretic. One of Obama's points came to me loud and clear: "And it's not surprising then they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations."

If your base operation is in downtown Pittsburgh or somewhere on the outskirts, there can be a sense of blindness in reading those words. They could seem out of line, short-sighted or just stupid. But, between growing up in such a place and now working in one of these towns that can be considered 'depressed,' let me tell you each sentiment Obama put forth is correct.

How do I know? Because I hear it on a daily basis. Many people in this area are unhappy. They've seen the great steel boom of the last century and they've seen it collapse. They're left bitter. Rather than taking the slight and turning it to a positive, they remain stuck in their ways and content to complain. Foreign corporations infringing on the American way is an unfortunate situation, but a global economy depends on it.

The social conservatism is more annoying than it is endearing. Without fail, I hear colleagues of mine discussing their rights to have as many guns as possible and their devotion to religion. Their inability to see that this country was formed through immigration discredits their notion that no one should be allowed in this country to take jobs that no one else in their right minds would want.

Rubino (Tranquility's author) smartly pointed that healthcare in this area is a booming industry. No doubt about that. I can't imagine it'd be as prevalent without five hundred million old people sitting around dying with a Marlboro in one hand and an Iron City in the other.

This city and this area are old. Old-aged and old-fashioned. Residents are quick to point out the crookedness of politicians and the lack of trust they have with our government. Why is it such a problem when someone comes along and precisely details the collective mindset? Isn't the truth a good thing? As they say, sometimes the truth hurts.

The pride displayed around our great city comes with a Catch-22. If you're from here, expect carte blanch. If not, don't say anything that can be construed as offensive unless you're planning a crucifixion for this Sunday down at the Point.

It would be refreshing for this area to come to grips with what happened a quarter of a century ago and stop holding a grudge. The world changes, and the sooner that's accepted, the sooner we can move on and stop feeling sorry for one another. Then, potentially, we could have a metropolis known less for a great football team, bad baseball team and burgeoning hockey team, and more for the great people, gorgeous city and the crown jewel located between those other two places who just love being down on their luck. You know them better as Ohio and West Virginia.

17 comments:

Its Just Me - Daring to Dream said...

How true. I live in a small town and to hear what Obama said rang true. Interestingly enough, the same people that is most true about is the same people who will be angry about it. The truth may hurt - but it doesnt make it less true.

This small mindset is what makes me want to leap out of the small town I live in. I feel so dumbed-down by living here. This is not a healthy mindset to live in.

The small town I live in is 'indeed old. Old-aged and old-fashioned. Residents are quick to point out the crookedness of politicians and the lack of trust they have with our government'. People here just want the right to complain, not actually change anything. They enjoy the way things are. And its that mindset that repulses me.

Obama told the truth. No doubt about it.

Mitch said...

But they took err jebbbsss! Rabble rabble rabble

His comments are mostly true, yes. But it's one thing to call the people out on it when you were born and raised there. Its an entirely different matter when you're a privileged outsider casting stones. Not a good idea when you're trying to cozy up to those voters in an important primary. Unfortunately, you can't be an effective politician by spitting out such rhetoric. His comments are showing how inexperienced and green he is, and it's going to cost him. Hopefully it doesn't cost us after the election.

Anonymous said...

Mitch,

Did you just call the #1 Soul Brotha "green"?

Also, who wants an experienced politician? The less entrenched (Spelling?) our president is with corruption, the better.

Love
GGGGG

Anonymous said...

oh yea, and like obama's going to offend anybody worse than G DUB has.

4 more years!

Anonymous said...

After reading the summary of what was going down in the latest mud-slinging contest that is the Demo-Primaries in this past Sunday's Post Gazette (F the Trib), I truly hopped STS would post commentary regarding what was said - mostly because of this blogs unique name (I wouldn't be suprised if traffic was boasted a bit this past week, by everyone and their mother googling what Obama said)

And I agree with this commentary - Obama was just speaking the truth. Granted, he could have worded it better (and he admitted that later), but when I first read it, this commentary is exactly what I thought.

The word that resonated the most with me that Obama said was "bitter" - that about sums it up for the surrounding areas of Pittsburgh.

And Brick top: It's not like this was a practiced speech Obama was given, he said these comments in a conversation at a fundraising event. Granted, the man needs to be "on guard" at all times, but give the "#1 Soul Brotha" a break - mans got the right to slip up in relaxed convo every once and awhile

- dwzajvf

Mega said...

This post is a small town scandal. Anyone who relies on the Federal government in lieu of self-sufficiency is doomed for bitterness. Equating gun ownership, faith, and a demand for the rule of law with bigotry? Shameful. What I find most egregious is the stark haughtiness uttered by the prophet of the 'new' politics of hope.

Scotka said...

Boyd, stunning insight on this controversy. I'm impressed with your ability to tackle the political realm. I hope to perhaps see more of it in the future (in between the typical menu, of course).

Mega, I have so much to say on this and your response, a post is not the proper forum. I feel we need to establish some sort of battleground for future discourse. We'll discuss.

Anonymous said...

Jon Hill writes:

First of all, people in small towns are bitter as fuck. I was hanging out with my friend Kris who is from Johnstown while in Sonoma Valley (wine country cause I'm ballin like that). Kris was bitter as fuck about the economy and the fact that his mother's restaurant of 18 years might close down. I hadn't heard about "Bittergate" yet, but I remember leaving dinner and thinking, "Damn, Kris is bitter as fuck." So Obama speaks the truth. But the Right Wing hates the truth hence believing in talking snakes and people living to be 800 years old.

But more importantly, most people (especially Mega's constant attempt of pretending he writes for Foxnews) has the whole situation wrong. If you dig a little deeper than the front page of the Drudge Report, you'll realize that Obama was talking about voting patterns. He was saying that since these people in small towns have given up believing in the economy, they instead vote based on social issues like guns, religion, ect. He was saying that politicians have started speaking to these issues instead of the important ones. Like in 2004 when at the Republican convention, people held up signs of purple Band-Aids, in an effort to question John Kerry's war record and in doing so disrespected all the service men who have suffered injuries in the battlefield. Or when Bush's cronies tried to start a rumor saying John McCain had an illegitimate black child, because small town voters really love those kind of things.

Seriously, has anyone besides John McCain questioned how we can cut taxes and start a war at the same time? Hey, as long as gays don't get married, does anyone really care?

sides said...

this is just great

Anonymous said...

What does "egregious" and "haughtiness" mean?

On a separate note, who has the balls to try this?

- fjnliqn

Mitch said...

There is immeasurable hilarity in saying Obama is best suited for the presidency because he hasn't been in politics long enough to be "corrupted". Experience and tenure does count in the case of the highest office in the world. I'd love to see Cory in the White House as much as the next guy because he is likeable and charismatic, but let's face it, he wouldn't have a clue what the hell he was doing and would likely nuke Canada.

Obama is a good speaker when he has the time to prepare. He has shown that. But whenever he has to speak off-the-cuff, like in (God I hope not) future negotiations with other countries, I'm a little more cautious in allowing him the opportunity to open his mouth. If he makes such harsh comments about a fickle voter base he is trying desperately to woo, what other idiot slip-ups is he going to make negotiating with Iran, Russia, or China? We've had to deal with poorly chosen words in international politics for the last 8 years. I'd rather not see it happen in the next 4 either, especially by someone who doesn't have the experience to know how to clean up after his mistakes.

And don't even get me rolling on the Rev. Wright idiocy. If you attend a church for 20 years and the guy is a family friend, you share some of his opinions. And salute the flag, douchenozzle.

PS-Coming to Sexyburg this weekend, FYI. See you there.

Anonymous said...

its politrix as usual

mccain's a goon and obama is symbol and not much more.

I eat politicians for breakfast
Till infinity it's endless
Bill and Hillary, George Bush, everybody's gettin it
Presidents, Supreme Court Justices, and Senators
Run up in the White House
Erase people, edit them
Press delete, hit em in the chest with heat
Hail to the chief
Bullets everywhere, its beef
Violence is more American than apple pie and Soul Train
Baseball, nickel-plated nines, and cocaine



gggg

Anonymous said...

To my friend Mitch,

"If you attend a church for 20 years and the guy is a family friend, you share some of his opinions."

You are right. You share SOME of his opinions. Not ALL of them. I've got a bunch of douchebag friends in my life (as this blog constantly reminds me), but that doesn't mean I should be judged by some of the things they say even though would fight to the death for them.




J. Hill

Mitch said...

If one of my friends says crazy, whacked out stuff like white people invented AIDS and seriously meant it, I'm pretty sure I'd distance myself from that guy. Immediately. Particularly if he was my spiritual leader. But hey, that's just me being a crazy conservative with personal standards and a moral compass.

Anonymous said...

If Ian Mavero accidentally killed a man and went to jail, he'd still be my friend. I wouldn't be happy he did it, but I wouldn't distance myself from him. I wouldn't care what other people said. He's my friend no matter what.

I respect a man for not throwing a friend under the bus just to save a few votes.


J. Hill

Mitch said...

Under those circumstances, sure, I agree. But the operative word is "accidentally". Had Ian committed first degree murder and chopped off little Suzy's head while she watched a baseball game and ate apple pie, I'm pretty sure at that point I would realize he isn't the person I thought he was. It would be time to seriously reconsider the terms of our friendship. Of course, that's how I would react if I weren't a serial killer like him. I suppose if I shared his taste for blood, I'd be cool with his actions and wouldn't speak out against him.

Anonymous said...

I would say that Ian is allowed to kill hobos, his girlfriend if she's cheating on him, Tom Brady, and anyone from West Virginia and I would still be his friend. All those mentioned above would fall under legitimate reasons that I could look past.


Jon Hill