Jun 4, 2008

Thank You Penguins

To say the NHL gained a fan over the past five months would be to underscore the sheer amazement and enjoyment I've experienced while watching the conclusion to the 2007-2008 season. Looking back, the small amount of blogging I have done in the past few months has been centered more around the Pens and their corresponding actions than anything else. In fact, it has been the main focus of my out-of-work life since roughly mid-January.

So, with pride, this is the last time I say: "Now I don't know enough to form an educated opinion about [hockey]..." I feel like through the course of the season and the extremely exciting playoffs I've picked up enough to be a somewhat educated hockey fan. Granted, some of the rules and terms still baffle me, but with time I hope to improve.

There's already been enough "I's" in this entry to make me puke. This one is deservedly sent out to our Pittsburgh Penguins, who have done their best in the past two years to not only make me realize what a truly great sport hockey is, but to inspire an entirely new generation of Pittsburgh hockey fans.

To hear the raucous ovation given to every Orpik bone-crusher, to every Crosby deke, each Malkin laser to the back of the net and the flashes of brilliance displayed with a Fleury glove save (and a beauty) makes the hair on the arms stand up and the heart race with an intensity not present anywhere else in my sports watching life.

The NHL season is grueling to say the least. To think I've been glued to my still not digitally upgraded television multiple nights a week since before the playoffs started shows that the game of hockey is not nearly as dead as some may think. You really form a relationship with your team as you see them crash the boards and raise the sticks each night. For as much as I was disappointed the Pens did not procure the oldest trophy of them all this year, I was equally as disappointed to see the season come to an end. Going into tonight, it became apparent that the most hockey there'd be to view until the fall were two games.

Sure, it's easy to poke fun at Mike Emrick. But the man endeared himself to me this post season. I certainly won't appreciate Jim Nantz's overly-judgmental attitude in the upcoming NFL season as I do Emrick's "Driiiiiive!" calls and his innate ability to make each and every second exciting just by his diction.

So, it's with this we leave the NHL season until next fall. Some wish the season would be shortened as to increase the excitement for each game. But I say let's start skating as soon as possible. Penguins, it was a hell of a season and you all deserve a standing ovation. Because, as it turns out, there's more to sports than waving a Terrible Towel. Thanks.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ditto Sides, Ditto.

Also, I absolutely loved how the fans chanted, after their team lost the Stanley Cup finals, "Lets go Pens!" and "Fleuryyy" - How many other groups of fans would stick around and honor thy team after such a loss? It speaks to your point of the 'guins winning us all over.

I would have to respectfully disagree with your comment 'hairs on my neck stand up like no other sport' - I don't know about that - Think about the music blarring right before the Steelers are about to kick off a new season in Heinz Field - that's the same level of intensity that is so palpable in my mouf.

- qszvi

Anonymous said...

Well, on behalf of those who have been fans for a while, let me welcome you to the brotherhood. As the fog of depression that smothered me last night wears off, I've been able to reflect on what was an amazing and unforgettable season of Penguin hockey. I was too young to remember the two Stanley Cup winning years, so this is undoubtedly the most exciting season I've witnessed in my life. Even if a lot of the fans were jumping on the bandwagon, the love affair this city had with our scrappy bunch this year was great. Now, obviously the playoffs are more meaningful than a game in December, but I hope the passion that was displayed for this team is not put on hold from October to March. It will be a challenging off-season, for the front office with a lot of players entering unrestricted free agency or needing new contracts, as is the case with Fleury, who should be the team's number one priority. You need a workhorse goaltender to win a cup and he definitely proved he is that kind of goalie. However, no matter what they lose in the free agent market, I trust GM Ray Shero to make smart and informed signings of guys who fit this team's makeup and budget. In his two years on the job, I can't think of move that didn't work out for him. This team will be back here soon. I'm actually more pumped for Pens training camp, than Steelers training camp. So, I will join you in a giving a thanks to the Pens!

P.S. Thank you for the awful image of Mike Emrick getting sucked off that is burned in my head.