Jun 18, 2008

The Potent Stuff

I'm never one to analyze a cup of coffee. Certainly there are those who consider the deconstruction of a decaf a personal hobby. Different strokes, different folks. But here's an example of a collective mindset I just don't get:

Each morning I get to my desk, log on and then go downstairs for that first cup of coffee. Most days, I end up having to make a pot because the MIS guy who gets here at seven drinks an entire pot and leaves about two drops without making a new one. Not that I particularly care because it takes like 30 seconds, it's just one of those peccadilloes, I've used that word before....ummm...misdeeds, that make offices such goofy places to work.

Regardless, if you've not experienced it before, standing around waiting for a pot of coffee to brew is about as exciting as sitting through those human resource videos on orientation day. That's why I'll typically pull a dangerous yet exhilarating move. While the joe is pouring, I'll quickly whip the pot away and replace it with my cup.

Many times this move works, resulting in minimal spillage. It's also good for one of those awkward-conversations-with-passerby like "You must be feeling it today!" or the ever-popular "Hot off the presses!" One day, as I'm filling up, an IT consultant walks past and tells me he used to own a donut shop, and the coffee that comes out of the machine first is always the most potent, not to mention that I must really need it.

Apparently, people at my office really respect the ideals of a (former) donut shop proprietor. The awkward conversations of the past have turned into over-the-top warnings of impending giddiness and loss of inhibitions.

I'm still having trouble believing the first few drips are any stronger than the last few drips, but I appreciate everyones' conviction. Now, if you'll excuse me, someones car needs lifted.

"Rocket Fuel"

No comments: