Feb 21, 2008

Lack of Green Contacts Frustrates Worker

BUTLER -- Local office worker Casey Boyd is disgruntled this morning due to the lack of 'available' Gmail contacts currently online.

The popular instant messaging software helps Boyd through the usually mundane and tiresome workdays.

"It's all I really have," Boyd said. "Like, last night Paul told me he had meetings basically all morning. There was no way to hide my disappointment, I knew it was gonna be a long day."

Boyd, like many other twentysomethings in the workplace, appreciates the solace and entertainment the Google-created "Gmail" e-mail service provides. When the company debuted the 'chat' option in 2005, many said goodbye to the old-time remedies they used during summer jobs or college classes.

"AIM [AOL Instant Messenger] Express is so three years ago," UPMC Admissions Coordinator Paul McCartney said. I have a BS in Accounting and an MBA in Management, there's no time to be pussy-footing around with Buddy Lists and away messages with the inability to see profiles,' McCartney continued.

Gmail users are happy with the ease of communication to the outside world during their not-so-busy times of the day.

"We like to afford office workers the ability to have a real-time conversation with their pals and at the same time e-mail crude forwards and pictures to those who've yet to be 'invited' to Gmail," Google co-founder Sergey Brin said.

Deloitte & Touche IT Consultant Ian Mavero is often away from his desk, but enjoys the myriad of messages left by Boyd, Adam Novak, Ryan Sullivan and Matt Brown when he returns.

"I work about 22 hours a day, so it's nice to know I still have friends out there enjoying themselves," Mavero said. "Sometimes I'm even able to respond to them if I get back quick enough."

As for the afternoon, Boyd is optimistic.

"Right now I have three messages going and hopefully a lot more to come. 'LOST' is on tonight so I'll probably chat with people about that, or maybe some financial stuff. It depends. I do have to be careful so I don't swear. 'NSFW' sucks, man. Hopefully later I'll be able to throw something on my sweet blog about it. Have I mentioned that yet? So awesome dude, check it out."

Boyd's post-lunch Contacts list

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

gif fo-mat fo life.

Paint what what.

I wish I had Scott Habenicht on my gmail list.

Wonder what that last name translates to...

- zxlkyjm

sides said...

i heard it's german for cross country