Feb 27, 2008

Facebook Unsure of Penguins' Trade

A chuckle and head shake were all the more I could manage last night upon signing into Facebook and checking everyone's status. Roughly 50% of the 36 friends with recently updated profiles had their status set to their reaction about the Penguins trading Colby Armstrong, Erik Christensen, Angelo Esposito and whoever the other guy was for Thrasher's star Marion Hossa and some French guy. Some were "excited!", while others believed "Hossa's great, but not worth the price we payed," and there were the skeptics who remained "unsure :-/."

I'll follow the Pens, can't say I'm a diehard, but I give credit to those who are. Hockey is a tough sport to be a fan of. Your games are on Versus and the league is consistently fighting for its mainstream survival.

Back to the Facebook thing, the reason I got such a kick out of it is that, a few years ago, everyone a lot of people besides Scott and Cory trounced the Penguins and said they didn't care if they stayed in Pittsburgh or not. They claimed hockey sucked, the Penguins sucked and it wasn't worth wasting time following such a bum team. Many of these people are now thrilled with the team and can't imagine a Pittsburgh without them. I tend to agree.

How quickly many forgot the glory days of the 90's and the mania the Pens instilled. The rants of apathy for a once formidable organization and competitor for the other Pittsburgh sports team accompanied the Pens on their way to the basement of the NHL. This of course all changed when the Pens miraculously won the lottery draft after the lockout season and landed Sidney Crosby, who immediately regained the old fanbase while luring an entire new generation of fans to the Igloo.

I don't mean to say that the fandom displayed on Facebook is bad, I don't mean to make fun of Penguins fans, hell, I don't even really care to use the word 'fandom.' I just wonder where all these people were four years ago?

UPDATE: 10:15 am

Get ready for the 'RIP Myron' statuses tonight.

3 comments:

Mitch said...

I saw those statii updates last night, glanced at the trade details, and shrugged my shoulders. I'm glad the Pens stayed in the 'burgh and I'm glad they're finding success, but even if they won the Stanley Cup I don't think I'd be all that enthusiastic. I can't follow hockey anymore. I don't even know who the Hossa guy is. I guess it was a good trade. And if it wasn't, I don't really care.

My opinion is that all the hatchetwounds are only upset because Colby Armstrong is "hawt" or something.

Sucks about Cope though.

Anonymous said...

I'll drop some of my hockey knowledge on you motherfuckers. This is a brilliant move made by Ray Shero and it is a statement that the Pens want to win the Stanley Cup this year. Hossa is one of the best offensive talents in the game and pairing him with Sid should have opposing teams shitting their pants, like me after a heavy night of drinking. On the surface, bandwagon fans bother me, but when you get down to it, if winning is what it takes to attract fans, than so be it. This team is on the cusp of something special. Maybe not this year, but in the very near future. I urge all of you to follow these guys. I also feel Shero knew the risk in making a trade for an unrestricted free agent, but I believe Hossa will re-sign here. Who the fuck wouldn't want to play with the best player in the game? I think people who are upset with the deal are letting personal feelings get in the way. Armstrong was a very likeable guy and fan favorite. However, the casual fan gets upset that they traded him, when in reality, he is a third-line player and how could you argue with bringing in the top-notch winger that everyone wants for Sid. I love blue-collar players,like Colby, Matthew Barnaby, Bob Boughner, Tyler Wright, and Georges Laraque, but wouldn't have hesitated to trade them for this kind of talent. I know I will catch shit for this, but as much as I will treasure the Steelers' Super Bowl victory for the rest of my life, it would mean more to me, to see Sid and this great young team raise Lord Stanley's Cup in the next few seasons.

Myron Cope is a Pittsburgh legend, a one-of-a-kind voice, and has meant so much to generations of Steelers fans. No doubt the Pittsburgh sports scene won't be the same without him. Even though he retired from the booth, just seeing him in the community brought a smile and a warm, friendly feeling to everyone.

Mitch said...

Jesus, Cory. You should be a sports writer for the Butler Eagle or something. You got mad skillz.